I love keeping track of my travels through travel journals. There’s nothing that draws me in to a store like pretty journals. But every now and again I get stuck on what to write. When I’m faced with that blank page, I don’t always know what to write! So I started keeping a cheat sheet of travel prompts to keep the writing ideas flowing.
Here are some of my favorites:
Write about your trip preparations
- What did you pack?
- What are you looking forward to?
- Why did you choose this trip?
- What are you most excited for?
- What are you worried about?
- What do you think your trip will be like?
Write about perspective
- How is your trip different from how you imagined it?
- What did you learn about yourself or the place you visited?
- What are your top 5 memories of the trip?
- What was your favourite thing about this trip?
- What was your least favourite thing about this trip?
- What surprised you?
- What disappointed you?
- How did you feel when you first arrived at your destination? Did your feelings change by the end of your trip?
- What advice were you given before you left? Did you use it? Was it helpful?
- What advice would you give to someone else?
Write about people
- Who did you meet and what did you learn from them?
- How do people live where you’re travelling?
- How did you communicate with locals?
- Describe the interactions you had with locals or other travellers
Write about the language
- What language is spoken?
- If you speak the language, are there any interesting differences or unusual words?
- If you don’t speak it, what are some of the words you learned?
Write about self-entertainment
- What did you read or what songs did you listen to?
- How did your trip influence how you felt about the books/music?
Write about travel activities
- Where did you?
- What did you see?
- Describe how you travelled from point A to point B?
- Draw a map of the neighbourhood and mark our favourite spot
- What was the most unusual or surprising sight, smell, sound or taste?
Write about food
- Where did you eat?
- How much does food cost?
- What was your favourite meal?
- What are the food markets like?
- Did you find anything weird or unusual at the grocery store?
- Where did you stay? What did you like/not like about it?
- Track your spending
- List the places you’ve seen
- List the cities you visited
- What are your recommendations for hotel, food, or tour companies?
- Write down recipes from your cooking class (Read about why you should go to one!)
- What did you buy and what made you buy them?
- What was the weather like?
Get homesickness out of your system
- What did you miss most?
- What food did you miss or crave the most?
Let me know in the comments what you write about in your travel journal.